Bar Skills Competition
The TUCO Bar Competition was launched in 2015 and showcased some exceptional bar talent.
Working against the clock, entrants will be asked to prepare:
- A sharing drink- must be for 4 persons
- Signature cocktail – which will include specific ingredients
- A beer/cider cocktail – which will include minimum 3 ingredients.
- A time challenge: Making as many gin & tonics in one minute - a head to head challenge
For the first three rounds you will have a fixed time to serve the drinks to the judges. You will be expected to treat the judges as you would a group of guests in your workplace.
Competitors will be required to wear a microphone and tell the audience and judges what you are preparing.
The competition will take place across Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th March.
Related TUCO Academy event: Mixology Masterclass
Proudly sponsored by Coca Cola European Partners & LWC
Prepare 1 sharing drink.
- You may use a serving vessel of your choice. It should serve a minimum of 4 people
- You may not use any homemade ingredients
- Maximum 125 ml alcoholic ingredient may be used
Prepare two of the same signature cocktails
- You will be asked to prepare two cocktails of your choice, containing no more than 50ml of alcohol per cocktail
- You may bring your own garnish
- No homemade ingredients may be used
- Competitors are not limited to an ingredients list
Prepare two of the same beer/cider cocktails.
- It must include 1 x beer/cider ingredient of the competitors choice
- Must contain at least 3 ingredients
- Maximum 2 alcohol units per serve
- Competitors are not limited to a fixed list of ingredients
- Each of the first three rounds has a 5 minute time limit
- You will be advised of the time at 3 minutes and at 4 minutes. Once your 5 minutes have elapsed you will have 30 seconds to complete your tasks
- Please bring with you any glassware that you will require.
- Ice will be provided. (cubed and cushed)
- Please bring with your bar kit with you. There will be a minimum amount of kit available on site at the competition, but this will be limited.
- We will require full cocktail recipes by 12 March 2018. Drinks recipes cannot be tweaked after submitting.
- We must be sent links to social media/marketing plans prior to the competition (2 weeks prior)
- Competitors are responsible for bringing all ingredients, garnishes, bar kit and glassware that they need.
Preparing for the Competition
Marketing submissions are an important part of the 2018 competition. The judges will be looking for examples of sampling done with customers etc. Examples to include;
- Are you able to supply sales data of your signature serve
- What was the feedback for paying guests
- Is there a social media presence of your drink
- Can you provide evidence of marketing done by you or your institution for this serve
- If you could change anything, either in marketing or the production of your drink, what would it be
- Why did you choose to create the signature drink you did
- Did you do any research before creating your signature serve?
|Name of Round||Decription||Scoring|
|Sharing Serve||Make 1 x sharing serve to serve a minimum of 4 x 150 ml drinks||1st Place 10 points |
2nd Place 8 points
3rd Place 5 points
|Signature Serve||Create two drinks of your own composition||Maximum 100 points |
Drink Taste – 25 points
Bartender’s knowledge – 20 points
Bartending technique – 25 points
Cleanliness – 20 points
Marketing story – 10 points
|Beer/Cider Cocktail||Create drink from a minimum of 3 ingredients||Maximum 50 points |
Drink Taste – 20 points
Bartender’s knowledge – 10 points
Bartending technique – 10 points
Cleanliness – 10 points