Jägermeister unveils category figures that demonstrate strong sales potential amongst the student communityWritten by Anjali Dattani
In time for the start of the busy student social season, Jägermeister UK has unveiled sales figures which buck the category decline trend and show just how strong the spirit’s sales potential is for the on- and off-trade.
In 2016–17, there were 2.32 million students studying at UK higher education institutions – and stats from Millward Brown demonstrate that students still go out more than almost any other demographic and often start their night with pre-drinks at home.
- Over half of all student consumers surveyed stated that they enjoy an alcoholic drink at least once a week, with 35% drinking 3-4 times a week
- On average, each student consumed 14 shots in Freshers’ Week
- 1.8 shots of Jägermeister are sold every minute of every day in the UK
- Herbal liqueurs make up 56% of all shots sold in NUS, with shots worth £1.5m every year
- Jägermeister is still the shot of choice for students, with the German herbal liqueur making up 31% of all shots sold in NUS
- 63% of respondents claimed spirits were one of their top two favourite drinks for a night out, and for students in particular
- Jägermeister is the third biggest spirit in the UK on-trade, demonstrating strong positive growth and outperforming total spirits
- Jägermeister is bought in the majority of rounds containing at least three shots
- Two thirds of students say that spirits are their favourite type of drink to consume on a night out, especially when getting the party started at home before heading to late night venues
Nicole Goodwin, Jägermeister Marketing Director, comments:
“Jägermeister is a brand that students trust to get the party started on a night out, both at home and venue with a range of consumption serves – from ice cold shots to innovative cocktails.
“Despite general category decline, Jägermeister continues to be at the forefront of students’ drinking choices. Synonymous with group celebrations like Freshers’ Week, the brand represents a great opportunity for retailers and licensees to drive incremental sales.”