Bar Skills Competition
The TUCO Bar Competition was launched in 2015 and showcased some exceptional bar talent.
Working against the clock, entrants will be asked to prepare:
- A sharing drink for four people
- Signature cocktail
- A beer/cider cocktail consisting of at least three ingredients
- The Time Challenge: Making as many gin & tonics in one minute - a head to head challenge
For the first three rounds you will have a fixed time to serve the drinks to the judges. You will be expected to treat the judges as you would a group of guests in your workplace.
Competitors will be required to wear a microphone and tell the audience and judges what you are preparing.
The competition will take place across Tuesday 26th and Wednesday 27th March.
It may be necessary to short list entries to compete in this competition.
The new fee to enter the TUCO Competitions is £275 +VAT. This is paid once per institution for the whole event, not just the Bar Competition. i.e. if your institution enters Barista Skills, Grab & Go Challenge and the Bar Competition for example the entrance fee covers the accommodation and dinners for two nights for multiple competitors, this costs a total of £275 + VAT for the institution, not per competitor.
Proudly sponsored by:
- You may use a serving vessel of your choice
- It should serve a inimum of four people
- You may not use any homemade ingredients
- Maximum 125ml of alcoholic ingredient may be used
- You will be asked to prepare two servings of a cocktail of your choice, containing no more than 50ml of alcohol per cocktail
- You may bring your own garnish
- Competitors are not limited to an ingredients list, but no homemade ingredients may be used
- It must include one beer or cider ingredient
- Must contain at least three ingredients
- A maximum of two units of alcohol may be included per serve
- Competitors are not limited to a fixed list of ingredients
- Each of the above rounds has a five-minute time limit (total of 15 minutes)
- You will be advised of the time at three minutes and at four minutes.
- Once your five minutes have elapsed you will have 30 seconds to complete your tasks
- Competitors are required to bring all glassware that you will require
- Cubed and crushed ice will be provided
- All bar kit, ingredients and garnishes must be brought with you
- Cocktail recipes must be received by 11 March 2019. These recipes may not be tweaked after submitting
- Links to social media or marketing plan documents are to be submitted by 11 March 2019
- There will be a preparation/practice area available to use before your time slot
- Competitors will give a brief commentary to the judges and audience as you create your drinks
- As the competition will be held on an elevated stage, a runner will take your completed drinks down to the judges, so you can remain at the bar station throughout your competing time
Preparing for the Competition
Marketing submissions are an important part of the competition. The judges will be looking for examples of sampling done with customers etc.
Examples to include;
- Are you able to supply sales data of your signature serve?
- What was the feedback from paying guests?
- Is there a social media presence of your drinks
- Can you provide evidence of marketing done by you or your institution for this serve?
- If you could change anything, either in marketing or the production of your drink, what would it be?
- Why did you choose to create the signature drink you did?
- Did you do any research before creating your signature serve?
- 1st place = 10 points
- 2nd place = 8 points
- 3rd place = 5 points
- Drink Taste - 25 points
- Bartender’s knowledge - 20 points
- Bartending technique - 25 points
- Cleanliness – 20 points
- Marketing story – 10 points
- Drink Taste - 20 points
- Bartender’s knowledge - 10 points
- Bartending technique - 10 points
- Cleanliness – 20 points
Please note elements of your entry may be printed in the magazine and other promotional materials.
Please use the form below to make your entry.
Closing date for entries has been extended to Friday 11 January 2019.